Val, our schools start teaching and expecting note-taking for subjects like Social Studies, Language Arts etc in 6th grade (middle school). I see note-taking in math as a slightly less complicated skill, and students here are typically starting to copy an example problem from the board in 4th-5th grade, and I'd be ok with a teacher expecting that in 5th grade for sure, especially once your child is in accelerated math (which I realize hasn't happened this week yet :)).

In your dd's situation, I think the problem is larger than concern about one thing here (note-taking requirement) or one-thing there (type of paper etc) - your dd and you are uncomfortable with the teacher. We're all going to run into a year here or there where our kids have a teacher we don't get along well with or don't like or whatever - but your dd is looking at another 5 (?) years with this teacher. So from my perspective you need to focus your efforts on finding a way to get your dd out of this teacher's class all together. Since she's the only math teacher at the school (I think that's what you mentioned before), I'd probably focus on putting together some type of plan for your dd to work independently through an accredited online course or something similar, as independent study - if you think that would work for your dd.

I seriously doubt the teacher is going to change or her methods are going to change.

Best wishes,

polarbear