Hi Everyone,
Writing from Toronto now. I read all 8 pages while I wait for the movers and you discussed IQ tests to death so no need to go there. But somewhere in the middle, someone made a point about athletes that made me think. If you are a good athlete, you can get good general training at your school but if you are in the top 1%, you only get good training if your parents pay. Particularly for anything individual and pay up. And if you are an amazing football player but are in a town without a good football program, you probably not get noticed. If you are MG, you probably can get into some gifted or enriched program and it works. But if you are HG, then it is hard to justify the costs of programs in sparsely populated areas and the onus is similar to having an amazing gymnast as a kid. You have to find the programs and pay for them.

In this age of Internet, there are so many things to choose from and have access, even if you live on the range in Wyoming. But I have long come to the conclusion, even living in NYC with programs-- but generalized programs until 7th grade -- and that is one school, high school for the rest-- that you have to find resources for your kid and supplement and create an optimal program for them.

On an aside, I am reading the price of privilege. And it seems that helicopter parenting aside, she kind of slams the working mother who doesn't really connect with her kids and if you are not having family dinners 5 nights a week -- which I am, (self pat) then you are a bad parent and creating an empty adolescent.

I guess I should have made a new post.