Okay-- so it's a matter of being unhappy about the NEED for a different placement, as opposed to being unhappy and wanting to CHANGE that placement arbitrarily.

That makes more sense. I may not agree that it is wise to make assumptions about one's offspring, of course, but that isn't the same as wanting an arbitrary change in placement simply because one wishes that something else were reality, er... or so that others will see one's child in a more positive light, or (even worse) see the parent more favorably as a result.

So yes, I can see how if one's children are presumed to be in the top quartile, and there are four groups instructionally, one would also by extension expect, rationally, that those children would be placed in the top group, and that it would matter a great deal since instructional placement can be life destiny from the time they are tiny. (I again may disagree with the particulars of the latter.)

Thank you for explaining, Bostonian. That would not have crossed my mind.

I guess my problem in wrapping my head around it is that that kind of competitive mindset really doesn't register with me, inherently. That's not intended to be judgmental in the least-- it's just alien. Which I suppose my outlook must seem to Bostonian, for that matter. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.