Originally Posted by Cricket2
Originally Posted by JonLaw
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Recall, about 30% of our district is ID'ed as "GT" by virtue of being above the 90th percentile on a nationally normed standardized achievement test. (Yeah, yeah... don't.even.get.me.started)

So, it's a bad practical joke.

Nice.
Lol, that's one way of putting it. Our GT id practices create pretty much the same outcome as Howler Karma's area has although they do require something else on top of the achievement scores such as parent or teacher ratings or a part of a group test. What I've always loved, if I am to be sarcastic here, is that it took a fight with our district including having them convene a panel of "experts" for them to accept HG-PG composite IQ scores in lieu of a 95th percentile score on any part of a group test. We got the policy changed, but the district website now specially states that high IQ alone doesn't mean that the child is gifted and is not necessary to be gifted.

Hmmm. That last sentence in particular leads me to wonder if they understand IQ and gifted minds. And it reminds me of the expectation some districts have that leadership qualities help to identify giftedness and if those qualities aren't there or aren't yet developed or, perhaps more often, aren't recognizable in the standard way, then it must mean the child isn't really gifted.

Last edited by KADmom; 07/11/13 08:00 PM.