The net price at many of the Ivies and other top schools has to do with gross income. For example, one Ivy has a chart on their website that shows if your gross income is under $120K, it is likely they will cover the entire tuition. If gross income is under $60K, you get tuition, room and board. Certain other top schools (schools that have been around a long time, big endowment) will cover tuition (or pay a hefty portion of it) if you make under $100K.

I know that it would be cheaper for my kids to attend one of those top schools than our state flagship. The tough part is getting admitted to one of those top schools - there are so many qualified applicants these days that the acceptance rate is in the single digits for those schools.

I think that a lot of people - low income or otherwise - look at the tuition, room and board and think that the school is out of reach. If they delved a little deeper - or if guidance counselors gave them some decent guidance - they might find the top schools to be more affordable than other options.