I have always regretted not going.

For example (this is one of many, many examples), I'm currently in a 10 month (continuing education) TA program. We recently had a class in math, and one of my fellow students said to me "Why are you doing this? You're wasted here - you should be the teacher, not the assistant." It's fine, because I don't want to teach, but if I did I'd have to start from scratch. Here teachers need a minimum of five years post-secondary, and I have zero.

(I'm in the program because of my kids... a) it's like an insider research project about the workings of the public school system to which they are currently exposed, and b) the schedule a TA works allows for me to be available to parent whenever they're not in school). Win, win.

College is more that just access to more career opportunities. It's about exposure to knowledge and learning, and also about connecting with people closer to your cognitive profile.

The reasons I didn't go are varied but involve a combination of apathy, indecision, resentment (towards formal education) and anxiety. I wish (I DEEPLY WISH) my parents had taken a more assertive role and persuaded me to go. This is one of my biggest regrets.

college/university = YES, 100%

At the very least could your DS attend a technical institute where he can earn transferable credits in case he does decide to pursue his masters? Transferable credits are a good thing smile

Last edited by CCN; 03/05/13 11:00 AM.