In the short term, being a video game designer may be his only aspiration. But longer term he may want to be promoted into a manager job with a tech company, and this is where he will bump his head if he does not have a four year degree. Unless he starts his own company -- but in that case it would really help him to have some business classes (accounting, marketing, finance, operations management, business law, etc.) under his belt. It is a WHOLE lot easier to get that degree when you are in your late teens/early 20s than when you are married with kids & a full time job, rent, etc.

The students getting the best jobs are doing both -- getting a degree AND getting good programming experienc in part time jobs & internships. I work it IT, very much a "what have you done for me lately" field, but still think he will regret it if he does not finish a four year degree.

By the way, if he (or your husband or anyone else) tosses out Bill Gates as a guy who did great in tech without finishing a degree, I recently read an interview with Gates where he said he should NOT be the poster boy for not going to college. He finished 3 years at Harvard before dropping out, and he says he only did so because he knew the Microsoft idea could not wait one more year given the speed of the market.

Last edited by intparent; 03/05/13 10:34 AM.