My DH and I are lately discussing the pros and cons of going to college.

At this point my feeling is that, although there are some few kids who really turn the world on it's ear by inventing something or writing a novel, etc., without the need for starting or finishing college, most kids are not going to fall into this category (timing, drive, smarts, etc.)

Our ds12 wants to be a video game designer and we are supporting that, however I think a b.a./b.s. in computer science or math or even art will make him much more employable in general terms. Not to mention where he'll be at 25 if he suddenly realizes he wants to get a masters; without even a b.a. it would probably seem insurmountable.

Mainly I think he's just gonna get sick of explaining during job interviews why he didn't go to college

Considering the ridiculous costs associated with big name schools, those are probably out. My DH tends towards the anarchic, and is really excited about some of the online ed. opportunities that seem to be out there and which may even nudge out regular colleges in a few decades. He sent me an article about how kids who go to college are going to be increasingly considered 'on vacation' and when applying for jobs considered less well prepared than someone who has been working for a while.

I don't buy it; some of it sounds great - skip a huge tuition bill? SURE!

But at this point I think that if my child can get a full or nearly full scholarship the idea of skipping college to go straight to work will not be considered. wink

Anyone else having these ruminations?