HK, this is a *really* tough situation to be put in - honestly, no matter what the call had been about, I would have been annoyed at best if a call had been made to my 13-year-old without my knowing about it. My own 13 year old recently had an *email* inquiry re a detail on a summer camp application - but I was cc'd as his parent and I would expect, at 13, to be still in the loop re this type of communication.

I honestly don't know what I'd do in this situation, but I agree with Val that a letter to the organization actually running the camp is the right thing to do.

Originally Posted by qxp
I am confused too. How did they figure out she had a disability? If I am reading right, I don't think others would view allergies as a disability and protected under the ADA even though they are protected. And I am not sure people even view allergies as a disability.

I don't think they had negative intent here.

qxp, as the parent of a child with life-threatening allergies, unfortunately my past experiences supporting my child would lead me to react and suspect in exactly the same way HK has. It's true - many people do not view allergies as either a disability, or more seriously, many people do not really understand that they are real and people can become seriously ill and possibly die from them. I'll be honest, it's just been my experience that when questions like this come back, chances are good the intent *is* to deny admission, or at the very least make sure that the organization hiring feels comfortable that they wouldn't be putting either the child or themselves at risk if she attends.

I apologize for being a bit jaded on this, but I've heard some things said by other parents and by people in charge of children's programs that I think would make most parents of kids who don't have medical challenges get absolutely *riled* about if they ever personally experienced it. It's not fair at all, but it is something that exists out there. My dd11, like HK's daughter, has also been exposed to things like this and is very aware not all adults take allergies seriously or want to make simple accommodations or want to deal with having a child with allergies participate.

HK, good luck to your dd - I hope she is accepted into the program!

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 03/14/13 11:41 AM.