HK, I think you may be suffering under a bit of a misapprehension about the law in this case. At least if your DD was an adult, it would not be illegal to ask questions about a disability, no matter how many times HR departments have told you that it is (and I'm sure they have). What is illegal is to base a hiring decision on the information. HR departments tell you (quite forcefully) not to ask because they don't want to be put in a position of having to show that "yes, we knew that, but we didn't use the information in rejecting her." Now, I am not 100% certain how her age plays into this with the decision to disclose the information. I can agree that it was inappropriate to call and ask her directly, but I think you've gone way too far down the "infer evil intent, or at least evil results" path. I would wait and see what they do. They may intentionally offer her an "ideal" internship that is fully compatible with her disability, because of the conversation. Or they may realize that they goofed and ignore the information. Or they may do just what you fear and reject her. But I don't think you can know which it will be nearly as well as you seem to think that you can.

If she doesn't get in, you can probably privately contact the woman who called you and search for information on what was asked and how it was used. (You already know that she asks questions when she shouldn't - maybe she'll answer them when she shouldn't, too!) You can talk to your DD then about why it was inappropriate to give the information when asked, instead of a pleasant put-off. If you'd like, I can go dig into my employment law notes and find some cases that might make interesting reading for her. smile But honestly, if you go in guns blazing now, I think that would be more likely to torpedo her chances of getting an internship than anything that has happened to date.