Originally Posted by marytheres
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Have the neuropsych do the WISC.

Yeah - that was my original plan. BUT, DS likes the school psych, she likes him and he loves to get out of class to do the tests with her. It also seems so much easier on him because she spaces it out over several days instead of one sitting, which seems so much easier on him. I don't know. I am torn - obviously it would be cheaper for me too since the school psych will not cost me money (other than what I am already paying in taxes.
Not sure what to do.

marytheres, most kids seem to enjoy their neuropsych evals. It is another round of testing, but all of the tests are different in some way, most are short in length, and our neuropsych gives children breaks between tests. Some psychs will break up the testing into multiple sessions over several days, but the typical neuropsych eval is done all in one day for a reason - the neuropsych wants to see how your child copes at different times during the day and with increasing number of tasks etc. Our testing was timed to mimic the school day (start, end, lunchtime) pattern - it didn't exactly overlap our kids' schedule, but the general idea was this is an educational exam, and part of understanding how our child is coping at school includes seeing how they cope over the course of a full day of "work".

Re the cost - you might be able to get insurance to pay for at least part of the eval. We were told "no" by our insurance at first, but we were able to get it covered. The keys (for us) were having a referral for the eval from our pediatrician, calling the insurance company to explain that there really were no in-network providers that could provide the same service, and also having the neuropsych's office staff help with codes that would work.

More in a minute....

polarbear