Those of you who understand and/or have children with ADHD. Can you tell me about automaticity and does ADHD/ ADHD inattentive impair the ability to attain it to a great degree? One thing, I realize my son is severely deficient in developing "automaticity." Like I have said previous posts, he doesn't have the stereotypical impulse issues, focus, distractability stuff, etc. Not even the zoning out so much. Once he is on task he stays even when bored. He does have HUGE automaticity issues and hence executive functioning issues b/c "automatic" stuff like putting your things away in the morning, ordering your lunch, etc.., never happens for him. He doesn't get distracted so much doing it (at least in my opinion) It's just that it never EVER becomes automatic. If I re-tell him the steps every morning he does al the steps fine - but i have to tell the steps EVERY morning. This is a kid with a decently high IQ so it's not a cognitive deficit, right?

Some background info- He has finally been identified as dysgraphic (the connection that dysgraphics never develop the automaticity of writing has not escaped my notice) and has visual processing issues due to a vision disorder. His working memory is also poor.

If this is a significant part of ADHD or ADHD inattentive, I really think my child may have it after all. Of course more motivation to see a neurospsych but still want opinions and thoughts!

Thanks for any help!

ETA: He also has choice difficulties - he has a terrible time choosing what he wants for lunch and his books for reading.

Last edited by marytheres; 02/12/13 11:36 AM.