Originally Posted by Johanna
I filled out the Iowa acceleration scale to the best of my knowledge and came to a score of 53 out of 80, which indicated DD to be a GOOD candidate for acceleration. Confusing...
Nonetheless, the "2 years above" test results make her officially ineligible for a whole grade skip per county rules. Then again, the principal has the ultimate say on this and can override the (county/ psychologist) recommendations.
Do you think I should get a second opinion on the interpretation of scores? The "2 years above" test was done by our AG teacher (first year in this position) and the others by the psychologist.

I believe I read somewhere that the Iowa Acceleration Scales are intended for the majority of gifted kids -- most gifted kids will benefit from a grade skip. We get all skewed on this board because there are so many HG+ kids discussed on this board. I would bring your results from the IAS, showing she is a good candidate, and discuss with the school.

I believe that a nicer goal in achievement for grade skippers is to get 85% on the next grade up, so they will still be doing well in the next grade. You do not want to set a child up for too many struggles. But I'd ask the tester what your child's ITBS scores translate into for one grade up, along with the results the tester already gave you.

There are so many factors to consider in a skip, including what the school has to offer with and without the skip. Think about the pace and the content of the curriculum next grade up. Will there be any new material? I would get information about this.

And how does your DD feel about school and about a potential skip?

Good luck.