Originally Posted by MumOfThree
And now for a completely left field idea. Is there a chance that a physical condition/illness that is causing your son's difficulties with sleep, tiredness, executive function, etc. You know the saying they teach drs "when you hear hoof beats dot think zebras."... sometimes it IS a zebra. I myself have two very rare health problems, one of which it is estimated that less than 5% of sufferers are diagnosed (all that not thinking of zebras). It's conceivable he does not have a psychiatric disorder but a physical problem which impacts brain function.

This was true in my son's case. His fatigue issues are definitely due to a physical problem that causes fatigue and not a psychiatric disorder. His anxiety is because of bad experiences with medical professionals. My son and I kept going to doctors trying to find out why he was born with mild hypotonia and why he had fatigue and endurance issues and needed to stop and rest while the other kids kept going and why he had joint and muscle pain and his hands hurt after writing for only five minutes. It was frustrating to hear doctors say it was just growing pains and developmental coordination disorder or dyspraxia when his balance and timing and coordination were really good until the fatigue set in. He wondered why what he had would be considered a learning disability when he didn't have trouble learning anything. My son didn't think it did him any good to see a doctor. It caused anxiety when the doctors could not tell him what was wrong. Then he read about OCCAMs razor several years ago and we both realized that was what the doctors were using on him instead of looking for more evidence of what he really had. We finally have an appointment to see a geneticist after all these years because his orthopedic surgeon listened to us and suspects that it could be something that is rare. It could explain why the scoliosis brace did not work as well as it should have and why he got scoliosis in the first place when nobody in our family has it or the hypotonia. We went through so many doctors that did not really listen to us and that caused so much stress and loss of confidence in doctors.