Petunia, no offense, and apologies if this sounds harsh or judgmental-- it's not, as I hope that my thread from two years ago shows-- but there are some things that I think you should be thinking about before you DO anything else.

1. Everything you've described sounds like escapism to me. Your son's preferences for leisure time, his desire for "down" time (reasonable or not), and his daydreaming. What is he looking to escape FROM? Or is it that it's something in particular that he's escaping TO which he has no other access to in his life?

2. IF you make the decision to remove a child from a social milieu that they enjoy and are functioning well in... you have to consider some things very carefully in a cost-benefit analysis. Lori and Madoosa have both offered some insights there, and I'll add to that chorus. If your child is at all socially-oriented, and particularly if that child is also an ONLY child... hit pause and don't skip this step. What will he LOSE if you do this? What will he GAIN? What about the negative things lost and gained?

3. Will homeschooling make your child your SOLE focus? Some of what you've said indicates that this may already (mostly) be true. There's nothing wrong with that, by the way-- Lori and I have both lived like this for years, as I think is obvious from our posts. But it WILL raise issues that you'll have to look at with a fairly critical eye. Being at home with a preteen/adolescent who is isolated is a recipe for enmeshment unless you guard very carefully against it, and always keep your eyes on that particular gauge with brutal self-honesty in place.
Ironically, it is EASIER to enmesh with talented children-- at least I suspect that it is-- because we can cover it up with rationalizations about "nurturing" and "push parenting" and "support/hothousing." It's very hard to remain healthily independent when it is so tempting to "guide" your child's every decision and action-- and when it is POSSIBLE to do so.

Please understand that I'm not accusing you of anything like that. I'm pointing out that this is one of the dirty little secrets that is almost universally true about homeschooling families. You DO have to be very deliberate about promoting independence from yourself as a parent, and you have to admit that this goes against many of our natural instincts as parents, to boot.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.