While I most often have strong one sided input on most threads, I find myself torn on this one. I'm totally sympathetic of the problem you’re having with this teacher and it burns me up to see such grading habits. I also understand the perfectionism problem since my eldest DS went through the same thing, at the same time it’s important to realize that this teacher won’t be the last to use such practices and in fact it might get worse in college where professors are left completely to their own grading practices and to run their classroom completely as they see fit.

In a perfect world I’d wish all teachers to understand the challenges your child faces and adjust accordingly, however, this isn’t the perfect world. So my best advice is to, as much as possible, use this class as a tool to help your daughter understand and deal with such practices as she’s certain to see other teachers totally insensitive to her perfectionism trigger and teachers with much less knowledge of her (or even care to have much knowledge of her) when she reaches college. I guess I have to ask here, which are you more likely to have a strong influence and success in training / teaching, your daughter, or every teacher she’ll have now and in the future?

Please forgive me if I touch a nerve, it’s not my intention to ruffle feathers, again, I totally sympathize, I just don’t see the mass majority of your efforts in this to be a long term solution, yet, flipping on that, it sounds like this teacher and that teacher’s future students may benefit greatly from your input on the matter.

Last edited by Old Dad; 10/25/12 08:27 AM.