I've put my own call in to The Barracuda. She "gets" my kid and has known her for many years. She's pretty much the only teacher that has the real goods when it comes to PG issues. She calls DD on it when she wants more out of her, or thinks that DD is slacking... but she NEVER triggers the perfectionism in the process, and never makes DD feel 'threatened' this way.

Hopefully she can give me some advice on how to explain that "good enough" needs to be the goal here, in a way that doesn't mortally offend Mr. Do-Your-Best.

This is a problem because Mr. Teacher sunk a midterm because he is trying to cajole/provoke better (?) writing on short-answer/essay questions. So an exam that should have been ~95% (given her level of mastery/demonstration of understanding) wound up being a 67% once he was done with it.

Given how subjectively he was grading her responses (well, but you didn't actually STATE that being able to vote was a "positive" thing... eek ) , and given that he actually SAID to me on the phone this morning that he was viewing this more about "form than substance," I think that is more than a touch unfair.

The problem here is that he has, with one stroke on a single (flippant/bad/cavalier) day narrowed DD's margin of error for an A in the class (which everyone agrees matches her level of mastery) to a dangerously thin <2%.

Given how badly constructed the multiple choice tests are, and given how divergent DD's interpretation tends to be with material under her proximal zone (as this is, being politically incorrect momentarily)...

well, that's GOING to wake up the Perfectionism Monster that we have worked SO hard to vanquish. I just feel sick.

LOL-- I feel like Attila the Mom a lot.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.