Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Oh, and so much for not having a year where I get to be "that parent." blush

You are NOT being "that parent." HE is being "that teacher."

Let us re-examine the problem from that perspective.

The teacher is failing to see that his definition of "very high standards" is not an objective absolute. If I've read correctly, he's created an arbitrary set of objectives that he made up just for your daughter. This is not acceptable unless she signed up for some special "extra honors" section of the class that demands performance different from the rest of the students. If she's just a regular student like everyone else, IMO a formal written protest to Mr. or Ms. TeacherBoss is in order. Argument: if he made up new rules for one exam for one person, who's to say that he won't keep changing the goalposts?

This approach does NOT allow a student to "grow." It engenders feelings of helplessness in general and negativity about a subject. mad

Does this teacher understand the damage he could do here, and the damage that he did two years ago?

Is there another section of this class (with another teacher) that your DD can take?

My opinion, FWIW, is that this guy needs to understand that

• You are NOT "that parent"
  • He's the one who's wrong here;
  • He has no right to impose his random idea of what's best for your daughter on her. He clearly doesn't know her well enough anyway.

mad

Last edited by Val; 10/24/12 11:40 AM. Reason: Clarity