Originally Posted by Cricket2
Do you think that ANY OD could dx convergence insufficiency as well as any other. In other words, is it an objective diagnosis? I suspect that this guy would be a lot less likely to see something that isn't there or push for treatment of a very minor problem that isn't likely causing all of the issues we're seeing, but don't know if that also means that he'd be less likely to catch a problem.

From what the office says, he doesn't do VT himself, but can refer you to someone else for it or get you set up with a computer program for VT.

I think so ... I think the diagnosis is objective but the OD needs to give the tests, which is why a basic vision test doesn't catch problems. However, perhaps the problem comes with the OD knowing (and willing) to give the battery of tests, ykim? Anyway, that's just my gut reaction not expert or substantiated in any way really (obviously). Except that, during my son's initial developmental tests I could "see" his disability quite clearly - like, all he needed was to be given the test. Having said that, the new place I went gave several more tests (obviously) - like the Berry, etc... where more valuable information was revealed about what exactly DS eyes are doing, when and his visual processing. However, my understanding is that those tests aren't really given automatically - I think they are only given when the diagnosis/problem is found. This new place touts sort-of a more complete (for lack of a better word) approach - they refer out to neuropsychs, do dyslexia screenings, etc. The feeling there is "we can give you visual info and diagnosis and we can point you in the right direction if that is not your child's problem or if there are additional challneges we think are present." In my case, they believe that additional LDs are not present, that DS' problems are completely physical/visual (eyes over-crossing intermittently causing tracking, sequencing problems, etc.) One of the neuropsychs I know they refer to is listed on the Hoagies website and has a great rep for LDs.

Anyway, not sure how much that helps you. I wish you live din my area. I feel like this second/new place I went would be a really good place for you ...

I have a friend/acquaintance who is an OD, I could try to ask her if you like?