I'm leaning toward setting up an apt with someone different than the more "aggressive" developmental OD I was originally planning to have dd see b/c I'm hearing from more than one person that he is inclined to push VT for everyone no matter how small the problem or whether it is LD based or mechanically based.

However, I have one question to see what you all think. One place we could go and have the "routine exam" covered by insurance is a more traditional eye center (sees people for regular glasses, more opthamologists on staff than the one OD, etc.). What they tell me is that their one OD can test for convergence insufficiency as part of the regular exam, but if that's what it is, it would no longer be considered a routine exam and would, therefore, no longer be covered by our vision plan: it would go to our medical plan where we'd likely wind up playing most of the $285 cost.

I guess that was a sidetrack, not my question, lol! Anyway, so here it is:

Do you think that ANY OD could dx convergence insufficiency as well as any other. In other words, is it an objective diagnosis? I suspect that this guy would be a lot less likely to see something that isn't there or push for treatment of a very minor problem that isn't likely causing all of the issues we're seeing, but don't know if that also means that he'd be less likely to catch a problem.

From what the office says, he doesn't do VT himself, but can refer you to someone else for it or get you set up with a computer program for VT.