Originally Posted by marytheres
He sounds words out just great - as long as his eyes get the sequence right. I can see that when he reads - example: sometimes when he reads and a word ends in LS, he'll start sounding the word out with an "sl" sound meanwhile the word actually begins with say a "B" When I stop him and I say "what sound does B make?" he says, "Uh bbb of course mom" and I'll say "then why are starting that word with the sound of "sl"" and he'll seem confused and be like "Ohhhh I don't know." Then he'll sound it outright. It's like his eyes keep tricking him, yk?

My DS8 does exactly the same thing! He has strabismus as well as a language processing disorder, and sometimes it's hard to pinpoint which issue is causing which problem. His version of strabismus is more of an "over" convergence - if he looks up or to the side sometimes one of his eyes will roll too far into the corner.

His reading is interesting. Sometimes he'll do exactly as you describe your son doing, and other times he'll fly effortlessly through reading (2-3 grade levels above).

Not sure yet if it's an eye fatigue issue, his ADHD kicking in, or the language processing, but he's either hot or cold. He'll sometimes start off great and then burn out. Other times he'll start off struggling through a "warm up" period then becomes fluent (as in, reading problems? What reading problems?) ...but then burns out and doesn't want to read anymore. I don't push him. I just have him do what he can, and he is getting better.

I've found that smaller reading sessions more often are the trick with him so he still gets the language exposure but he's able to take the frequent breaks that he needs.

Last edited by CCN; 08/26/12 11:42 AM.