I agree that this sounds like busy work. Some suggestions advanced at a recent TAT team meeting for DS6 were that he could make up problems for the rest of the class, do projects where he would learn about the use throughout history of skills being learned by his second grade class (at the time covering two-digit addition with carrying laugh ), etc.

These are time-wasting exercises, designed in the hopes of keeping the child occupied and happy enough not to complain, while keeping the child from advancement. One person at the last two TAT meetings has stated that our son is "ahead of where he's supposed to be" and argued that he needs to be kept from distancing himself from his "peers" even further. I feel for you.

I'm guessing that the reason your DD is not allowed to work on the projects at home any more is that the teacher suspects parental involvement in the work. That's a shame-- your DD should be encouraged to develop her computer skills, especially as that's a large part of what she's getting out of the exercises. In addition her attempts to improve the quality of her work should really be encouraged!

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick