Well, first of all I think the lack of a pullout is a big problem. Basically, then, the GT enrichment is being given by teachers who are NOT trained in teaching GT kids. It sounds to me like that is one of the biggest problems in your situation. Perhaps the teacher was given these projects and told to give them as enrichment but she really doesn't understand the purpose and goal of them the way a trained GT teacher ought to.

And I would have been insulted by the VP's comments as well. Being "balanced" isn't about being told you can't do activities you are interested in. It is about exposing someone to lots of things and nurturing diverse interests in them. It should make you happy, not miserable. (And that sidesteps the whole issue of whether everyone needs to be "balanced" anyways!)

If it were me, I would probably go to battle over letting her work on the projects at home if she wants to. I don't understand what the big problem with that is? Maybe compliment them on giving her projects that she is so enthusiastic about and that offer such opportunities for creativity, etc. Then state that you want to support and encourage her enthusiasm and creativity at home and you see no reason why this should be a problem. At the very least this should force them to articulate better their reasons against it, which doesn't make sense to me.

BTW, one of my fondest memories of my own elementary GT class was designing a board game based on a book we were reading. smile

I also really like the idea of getting them to let her do independent study in the library. That would be a great option if you think you could get them to go for it!