Ditto what Kriston & Dottie said--we all have moments where we second guess ourselves. Do we absolutely know what is the right fit for our kids before we've tried it? Not necessarily, but I think it's giving things a shot when status quo isn't working. Be willing to take risks and then, if it doesn't work, change again.

I know one woman who skipped her daughter from 4th to 6th grade. The girl was very bright, always in the top handful of kids in the 6th grade class, but at winter break, the mom un-skipped her back to 5th grade. We were all surprised because it would be a semester of review and then another semester of review the following year...but the mom believed her daughter was having emotional trouble with middle school kids (no touching allowed, and the girl liked to hug and hold hands with friends...very innocently).

I don't know if that story is relevant, but I'm just trying to say, you know your kid best--that's the only thing you need to remember.

I've found the most effective meetings with school officials are if you plan a few of the answers/solutions. This may be hard 'cause you want the professionals to tell you what to do, but have something specific in mind, if possible. Dottie wanted advanced math. I asked for ALEKS in the classroom (they agreed); later I asked for Algebra (they declined).

Some things to consider: Use class time to do advanced work, without sacrificing play time (perceived as a penalty). Allow him to pretest out of units with 85% mastery (we've been able to do this for math & spelling). Condense/compact curriculum (every other problem or sentences for half the words). Evaluate skip at each semester.