Lori, you're so right. And I think a big part of the disconnect is the 2E issue, which they deal with by only addressing one of the E's. I learned that they are required to address both, but they don't know how to address the second while taking into account the first. His tutor works at a school for verbal/reading/writing LD kids and she told me that they are not teaching to his style of learning, and he will fly with HS. And she agrees that the best school in the area for him is what I think people on this board refer to as a "prep" school. Still, their teacher recommendation form asks if the child has an IEP, sensory issues, fine motor issues, attentional issues, etc., etc., etc. And his OT thinks he needs a couple more years before he is ready for their expectations. Not that there's any room anyway, but I did contact them last week.

Finally, your post makes me think we should just show up at the playground at recess. Not at his current school, but at another public elementary school closer to where we live. (We live across the street from another school district, where each grade only has about 50 kids as opposed to 400, and which does address GT in the early years. We actually petitioned the Board to see if we could pay for him to attend that school, but the answer was no.) Just showing up at the playground may be okay with them, however. Something else to look into. Thank you for mentioning it.