Originally Posted by Madoosa
WRT your father - maybe they just need to spend time together alone.. would that be an option? they may find each other that way, it's working with my FIL and my boys - they are building great relationships and he is finally understanding exactly how advanced they really are.

Thanks for sharing the situation in your family. I feel better knowing that it must be a difference in individual perception sometimes. (My mom says ds is a "smartie").

I was thinking that I would ask my mom to lunch and see if my dad would "babysit" for an hour. Actually, I'm scared to ask because I'm almost positive my dad will think I've "lost it" that I would think he's interested in watching my son. But I agree with you that if only he would give him a one-on-one chance to talk with him, he would see.

I've often noticed my son is a bit "incoherent" and "hyper" around my dad...all the while, he's looking at him like he's thinking, "Am I getting grandpa's attention?" He's definitely different at home. I suppose I'm seeing some social awkwardness emerging in my son at this point.