Originally Posted by deacongirl
Originally Posted by Cricket2
Just one quick consolidation in case anyone doesn't want to read my whole longer rambling post!

Basically, would it be a problem for a 2e person to never know that s/he was gifted or LD? Would s/he know the difference?

Short answer--for me, from my own experience, I would say yes. I was identified as gifted, but not really appropriately challenged. I diagnosed myself with inattentive ADD (or maybe Executive Function Disorder? must read more) as an adult. It would have made a significant difference in my life to understand what it meant for me to be gifted (i.e. idealism wasn't something youthful that I would grow out of, it is who I am) and to understand the weaknesses wrt attention and focus. An appropriate challenge at a younger age combined with actively being taught executive function skills would have made a difference. Learning more about giftedness and adult ADHD has been extremely enlightening for me, and it would have been helpful to have this information at a younger age.

I completely agree with this, from my own experience! I was always the smartest kid (or one of two) in my class, but there was no accelerating, and since my whole family was made up of really sharp cookies, it was just normal. I have thought in recent years that it would have really helped to have been accelerated and challenged, as I grew up with a really lousy work ethic (learning-wise) that I still have to force myself out of. And just this past year I have self-diagnosed myself with ADD, from recognizing attributes discussed on this board. (Boy, do I know what "itchy brain" feels like!) I haven't tried to get any medication for it or a diagnosis from the doctor, but I might just try it one of these days to save my kids from the impatience of their mother. Knowing these things earlier would indeed have been enlightening and helpful. It's good to know what makes one tick.