So, I've been thinking and am wondering what some of you might think. My youngest has ADD and is gifted to some degree (HG+ or MG depending on which IQ test one wants to go with). If her older sister were not also HG without any corresponding disabilities other than slower processing speed, I don't know that I would have ever thought "gifted" or worried about 2e with dd10. She would have just been a good student with no issues on either end of the board (at least appearing that way).

If not recognized as gifted, she would be a very good student in typical or somewhat accelerated classes even taking into account being significantly younger for grade due to having changed districts to one where she didn't quite make the cut-off for the grade she is in and redshirting being somewhat common where I live. She would appear neither LD or gifted, basically, but like a good "high" kid who can get straight As without a lot of work (what her 2nd grade teacher saw her as at the start of that year).

With some definite work in dealing with ADD issues (O-3 supplements, caffeine, gum chewing in class, physical exercise, study techniques that break things into small parts for easy memory...), she did manage straight As at the end of this past year (5th grade) in a GT reading class and an accelerated 6th grade math class as well.

However, I wonder what the experience would be as a 2e person to never know that you are either gifted or LD. Would it be a problem to never be challenged to your ability level in school and would you know that something was off if you were getting all As and just not taking accelerated classes?

From what I am seeing with dd, I don't think that interventions for the ADD are needed if we just don't challenge her. Granted, I imagine that an average kid might be challenged by being the youngest in the grade and being grouped in somewhat accelerated in class groups, for instance, but the feel I get is that it is still easy enough for dd at that point that she doesn't need to deal with the ADD and can still get As.