Originally Posted by CAMom
His latest MAP scores show him 97-99th percentile for the next grade up in every subject.

In independent meetings, the school psych has said she's never seen a kid like him on paper and thinks it's a more likely that the highs are a mistake, never mind nearly identical scores on the SB-V.
Well the good news is that the school psych is willing to admit that she hasn't seen a kid like him. Basically you need to ask her what the standard procedure is for getting help in her field when she comes across unusual students. Sometimes there is a State level person who can give help when asked by the local district. Sometimes the local Universities have a Talent Search Program and someone who can be curbsided for expertise. You can provide her with the email address for cybereducator guild. In the real world, when we see something that we don't understand, we go up the network for help, rather than stick our fingers in our ears and pretend it doesn't exist. ((sarcasm alert))

One way to demonstrate that the Highs are real is to ask the question, ok - his MAP scorces are sky high for the 4th grade and he is a chronological 2nd grader - lets check and see what percentage he is for 5th and 6th graders. Do you really think a 2nd grade aged kid could be in the top 20% of 6th graders if the highs were a mistake?

But you really are better off having an outside person be the one to tell her. It's always better to have the info coming from a person with a higher educational 'rank' instead of from a lowely parent. If the test was done privately, then the tester is the obvious choice. If the test was done through the school, perhaps the State gifted association could recommend a local psychologist who could look at the results from the school's test and make recommendation. Actually, I think that you could ask your Family Consultant if she/he is willing to call the school psychologist and 'gave a little chat.'

I'm shaking as I write this post. How much are you supposed to put up with... really?

But back to my role as calm, thoughtful helper: What happens when you ask the school how are they planning to measure what one year of academic growth would be for your child? That is the real question.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com