Hi Kickball,

I'll quickly jump in with my quick response based on our situation. (Those of you who know me can just skip this post as I fear I am starting to sound like a broken record ;-) )

My DS is in the 140+ crowd and could easily have been skipped from an academic standpoint and I totally agree with Dottie that many kids whose scores are lower than that would do fine academically with a skip, so I doubt that you need to worry about that aspect.

For us the decision to not skip was based on the fact that DS really loved school, loved his class, was adaptable, is an extrovert etc. He did not want to skip and his school (which is mediocre by all outward standards) has bent over backwards to accomdate him in his classroom. Now in 6th he goes he takes algebra with the honors 8th graders and is in a very small gifted class for English.

Watching these boards I think many of us have decided that mediocre public schools without great reputaions may be more willing to accomodate HG+ kids than schools that are outwardly doing better and may be prone to smugness. DS's teachers have usually expressed concern that they are not able to do enough for him and come to me for help and ideas. Meanwhile many parents who have kids in "good" schools are having to jump up and down and shout and still no one seems to notice. So I guess I'm saying be cautious about moving schools based on reputation, becasue sometimes the ones with good reputations are the worst fit for HG kids. KWIM?

Last edited by acs; 02/23/08 07:43 PM.