2E = twice exceptional. A GT child with a possible learning disability or other known problem that can add to educational complexity.

Where is DD#2 "acadmically"? Does she attend pre-school? Is she engaged at preschool? Does she have friends her age or does she prefer older kids?

I have a son in first grade. We didn't know he was more than moderately gifted before kindergarten. He has a fall birthday, but I never thought of sending him early. And I actually still don't regret it. He is a very high energy kid, and our neighborhood all day kindergarten is more like 1st grade and really requires a bit of focus. He would have been a non-stop discipline problem a year early.

My point of all that is, another option is to do kindergarten (maybe even 1/2 day if you can do that) and skip to 2nd (as we should have but we had our sights set on another school we didn't get into, and no one does a grade skip around here) if she is currently happy and engaged with age mates. Kindergarten just seems to be a bit more flexible and less dry than first, and then you can make the skip after to 2nd.

And I'm sorry you got the "I'm sure your kid is special" look. I have to say, I'm quite sick of that look and attitude. I wonder if teachers/administrators get that many parents coming in looking for GT programming or acceleration for their kids that really shouldn't have it? I find that hard to believe.