My ds5 is a spring birthday, so we never really thought about early entrance; he probably could have done that, but we honestly didn't think he was *that* gifted. though. Now we're looking for a skip to second in the fall, though the school is dragging its heels (have to email the principal today, actually ... ).

I did exactly what dajohnson60 did -- I read, read, read about the options. I also went right out and bought the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual to see where ds would fall. I read (and still am reading!) all information I can find on gifted kids and learning styles.

Everything I'm seeing is pointing toward a skip for my ds5 -- including my own view of him. He's more sensitive and certainly more scatterbrained than he is on task; though he tested borderline EG/PG, his teachers are seeing him as spacey and tuned out. Well, sure -- he learned to read almost 3 years ago and they're teaching letter sounds! But even with his scatterbrained tendencies, it's clear that the K curriculum is nowhere near where he is, and I seriously want to prevent "slacker syndrome" from setting in. That's why we're pursuing a skip.

Originally Posted by kimck
My point of all that is, another option is to do kindergarten (maybe even 1/2 day if you can do that) and skip to 2nd (as we should have but we had our sights set on another school we didn't get into, and no one does a grade skip around here) if she is currently happy and engaged with age mates. Kindergarten just seems to be a bit more flexible and less dry than first, and then you can make the skip after to 2nd.

Agreed that this might be a good option. Probably what we should have gone for with ds5. Ah, hindsight ...

Anyway, I recommend you get a copy of the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual (these can be found on Amazon) and see what you think. The "A Nation Deceived" report is also great reading. And have you checked out Hoagies' gifted site yet? Certainly worth a look and a goldmine of information.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Mia

Mia