I really dont want to borrow trouble, really dont want to...but we are still trying to figure DD out and she was getting in trouble today AGAIN for not looking at me when I talked to her. And she does this all the time, and she knows I consider it rude and that it is a big deal and she always gets in trouble, but she just wont do it. Even after getting in trouble and talked to about it. So I didn't know it it was just me, or what, so I started observing, and well I called my mom and asked her (as she had just visited with us for 2 weeks) and I asked her if there was anything she noticed about DD that she was concerned about(knowing my mom would never say anything even if she had without being asked cause that is just how she is) And she instantly said, "She never looks at me when we were talking or playing. She looked to the side of me, or at my body, but never at my face." She also mentioned the MANY meltdowns, complete screaming, yelling at us, when we did not play EXACTLY right, and playing the same senario over and over again for hours. And then she mentioned that DD spends so much time on the setting up to play and never seemed to really play with many things.(Whew, a lot of stuff she noticed.)

Well, so when DD wasn't looking at me again today, I asked her. I simply said "why don't you look at me when you know it makes me upset and I think its rude." She said "I just can't mom." I asked why not. DD.... "It doesn't feel comfy inside. It is uncomfortable. I feel like I am on an up and down road" (That is how she describes when she is anxious about something.)

I know very little about aspergers, but I do know the eye contact thing is often a part of it. Can any one point me to some resources to read on. I googled tonight and was overwhelmed. I started reading and the only thing I could see was myself. It described me to a T growing up, and in a lot of ways still does. So is this DD or have I somehow inadvertently taught her these behaviors? Does that even make sense? I'm not looking for a diagnosis unless it was really interferring...just wondering and hoping to understand her more.

DD6- DYS
Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.