Seablue, I'm not sure where that statistic came from, but I wouldn't believe it.

It is true that many people with AS learn to deal with their symptoms effectively, so that they don't appear obviously autistic. Some people crow about "losing their diagnosis" or "overcoming autism." It's hard work, but people can really improve their social skills dramatically if they are motivated. My DS8 has done wonders in consciously trying to learn which of his behaviors trouble other people, and eliminating them, and I expect this to continue to improve with maturity.

At the same time, autism is defined in the DSM as a lifelong and pervasive disability. I know adults who are managing it successfully; but I don't think I'd say that any of them no longer has it. They usually work hard to do things typical people take for granted. It can be a very happy life; it's a life marked with certain ongoing challenges to overcome, to be sure, but it's doable.

As for the anorexia: one of the symptoms of AS is anxiety, and there are often co-occurring conditions with AS; for some people anxiety drives eating disorders. I wouldn't be surprised to see a link. At the same time, I wouldn't assume that all girls with AS are high-risk for anorexia; I'd wait alertly and see what develops with your particular kid.

AS is a syndrome, which means it's a collection of co-occurring symptoms; few people have them all, and they appear in interesting combinations. You can't assume your child's path will follow anyone else's.

DeeDee

Last edited by DeeDee; 12/28/10 02:27 PM. Reason: added some thoughts