Have you read up on 'OverExcitabilities?'

I don't think that the diagnosis is so important, since there is no 'scientific' test of ADHD in kids with normal intelligence, let alone in kids with PG levels of intelligence.

I think that it's better to look at the tools and behavior management techniques aimed at kids with ADHD and try them and see if they are helpful. I even seems possible to me that there is a subset of the PG population that doesn't have ADHD but does benifit from stimulent medication to deal with their internal asynchrony. 'Differential Frontal Lobe Development Syndrome' anyone?

At some point there will be a conflict between the
"menu of rushing thoughts"
and keeping on task to please the teacher. When the material gets challenging if this habit is ingrained then the failure starts. Changing the environment may be all that is nescessary, and keeping a child spending lots of time engaged in creative learning that is self-directed seems like a lovely fix.

Saying that we 'don't know' leaves the door open to keeping the firm supportive pressure on to grow more control. The brain is tremendously changable, and continuing to reward for increased self-control seems like a reasonable approach.

Lots of folks use automoblie analogies to explain these kids - racecar engine with bicycle steering and brakes, yes?

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Of course it might not hurt to try increasing the challenge level at school with a bit more subject acceleration.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com