Wow Lulu - that is an amazing story and one that does give a person pause. We are not necessarily defined by who we are and what we are doing at age 2 or 3, are we?

Both my kids are late bloomers by the standards set on this board. They both made huge leaps their kindergarten year catching up to most of the early readers. But both had an intensity, creativity, and questioning nature that was there all long looking back. I thought my son wildly visual spatial, but he's a strong speller and has other things that indicate he's more balanced than I would have thought originally.

In our community of highly involved parents and very academic preschools, it's really not at all unusual for kindergarteners to read. Honestly, sending my DS to kindergarten after seeing the other kids, I though he might be a remedial student. But now that these kids that are my son's age have rearranged a bit as 3rd and 4th graders. Some stick out as clearly gifted, and some are very comfortable and happy at grade level. And I know a few late bloomers too that have really blossomed.