I'm looking for some advice, just to help my brain stew better. I though this toddler section seemed appropriate.
My DS3 is in a homebased head start program (for those who don't knowthat program, his teacher comes to teach him at our house once a week, and he goes to class an additional 2 times a month for socialization). I was excited at first because his first teacher seemed excited about his abilities and started talking to a first and second grade teacher to find activities appropriate for him. Unfortunately DS only got to meet with her like once i think. Then she got transferred to another area. So he has this new teacher, who is very nice, but I'm just not happy with her. I'd feel the time spent with her is a waste of time except, DS23mo gets to participate, and It is very enjoyable to him, and if not for DS3. DS23mo wouldn't have the opprtunity to have that learning situation. Anyway my frustration is that his teacher is fully aware that he can read early readers, and knew his colors, shapes, letters, since 19 mo or earlier, (letter sounds 20mo), can recognize numbers to 100 (at least), and can count to 49 without help, yet she still asks him bogus questions like asking him what #1 is or having him tell her his colors, and having him match letters. She even brings these dumb board books and has me read them to him about numbers 1-4, or 1-10. I haven' t said anything because she so nice. I think she is just teaching the lesson plan she teaches to all the kids.I believe she does try to make it a little more advance and often skips things that are far under his ablility , but it still isn't helpful. DS 23 months loves this time though. So I keep thinking about quitting the program, but its so nice for DS23mo. Also DS3 does get good motor skills practice which he needs (cutting, sewing cards, drawing), he also does enjoy the socializations days and has a best buddy there who's 5. (i wish so bad for DS to go on to kindergarden with this boy, though im not sure if it would be good..and DS3's teacher has told me how impossible that would be from what she's seen (though i may still try if it he seems ready enough later....i just worry about motor skills and maturity)
Anyway.. my posts are always so unorganized ...and more like thinking out loud, so i hope you understand what i'm trying to say. I'm just not sure what i should do about the teaching situation, or if I should say something. I guess I should, but I'm not sure what I should do and say about it. I just keep hoping it will get better as she gets to know him more. Meanwhile its good for DS23mo....whats your input?

-Jenafur

Last edited by Jenafur; 01/12/08 12:07 PM.