Originally Posted by leah
Anyway, my son has "definite difference" on many sensory areas, he's highly imaginative, extremely talkative, very busy, has always preferred older children, incredible memory, mimics things verbally to a tee, wonderful sense of humor, knew the correct names of pretty much every truck, tractor, and machine in existence before he turned 2, but my concern is that he seems not the least bit interested in learning "academics". He is so bright, and I am shocked that he can't or won't learn the alphabet or numbers by sight. Also, he seems to have trouble with puzzles. It seems like these are items that he would excel at if he were gifted. (He will spend hours immersed in "construction work" or science experiments or playing little people).

Welcome Leah,

You are in the right place and asking the right questions. Your son sounds like a remarkable child.

There are others here who are probably better at answering many of your questions and I will defer to them. But I wanted to reassure you that 1) you are in the right place and 2)Don't worry about his not wanting to learn academic things, yet. That will come with time. Children will learn what they are ready to learn when they are ready to learn it. A person who has only been in the world for 3 years just hasn't had time to learn or be interested in everything, no matter how smart they are. My son taught himself to read between 2 and 3, but did not sit independently until AFTER he learned to walk at 15 months. He has drawn mazes since he was four, but even at age 11, hates jigsaw puzzles. One of my friend's daughters struggled to learn to read at the beginning of first grade and by the end of first grade was reading Harry Potter independently. So relax (at least about that), give him lots of opportunities and expose him to stuff, but don't worry if he doesn't catch on (or even care) right away--it just means he's using his energy to do something else first.

I hope this helps!

Anne