Originally Posted by chris1234
I said in the past it sometimes seemed like ds wants friends he can turn on and off like a faucet and someone suggested this might be linked towards some interesting thing they are doing (or not doing). As soon as the interesting thing is done, ds goes off on his own 'games in his head', as he put it to the counselor.

I see this in DS as well. He invites a friend over and then if that friend doesn't want to do DS's first suggestion he is stumped or not interested or something - and goes off to do his own thing. Then little sister takes over as the "hostest with the mostest" and now we have severe jealousy and all sorts of issues. I now make sure to talk to DS about what he and his friend might do and make sure he has several alternatives - including letting his friend choose something. Somehow I get the sneaky suspicion however that if the friend chooses something DS is not interested in DS would rather be alone than do something un-interesting (to him) with a friend, whereas DD would rather do the give and take and have company. Although, of course she would still rather have her own way. grin

DS is in a social skills "group" but as his school only has 85 students and only 18 in his grade they let him pick one friend for the group time. Not sure this is helpful. Nice to hear others are having some successes with social skills groups.

Breakaway