We have the same difficulty with ds6 (not the reading part!). What I've found is that he loses interest so quickly in most activities, it's hard to keep up. I can't figure out if he gives up because it becomes a challenge (he complains of things that are too easy but is a classic case of a child who hasn't had to learn to work at anything yet), or if he's just quickly habituating to the activity. Maybe sports are just not his thing. For my ds, sports that allow constant activity work best for him. T-ball was torture after about the first two weeks. He usually was digging in the dirt. Gymnastics: it was fun until a "big boy" picked on him and he had to wait too long for his turn. He loved soccer the first time around, so we're going to try that again in the spring. Ds just started mixed martial arts, and LOVES it. They keep them moving almost the entire time, plus they get to kick, punch, wrestle, and run relay races. They do a good job of making it fun, and it's something new he feels like he can do well. This is key for us, as we're dealing with a major case of perfectionism. He gives up quickly.

I've heard quite a few people mention tennis. My ds6 really wants to take hip-hop dancing classes! He LOVES "So You Think You Can Dance," and he's always dancing around the house. He's quite serious about this, so I'm looking into it! I agree that an instrument is a good idea, but it seems like for us everything is a shot in the dark. Some local zoos have programs where kids can go and learn about the animals. They get to feed them and do minor care-taking. We like kayaking and canoeing as a family. Hiking is great because it's not a structured, repetitive activity. I love the idea of rock climbing and repelling, but we're in FL, and it's totally flat! We really like being outside when possible and are not as inclined to do the indoor rock walls. Do you live near water? We like to go water-skiing when possible. Ds is also learning to surf. Oh, and one of ds's friends is taking lacrosse.

Good thread; I'm curious what to do about my ds getting tired of activities really quickly and wanting to move on to something else. Like you, I feel the pressure to keep him stimulated and challenged, but there's only so much you can do. I do think we get a little caught up in the pressure to be involved in EVERYTHING we can. Being well-rounded involves home-life and independent play just as much as enjoying and learning some extracturricular activity. That said, physical activity is important enough to continue to try to find an outlet to stay healthy and active.

Very random, but hopefully a little helpful. crazy