Hi floridamom,

I registered just to reply to your posting!!

I grew up with OCD and have been on SSRIs since I was 18. I had no idea I had OCD when I was younger; since both of my parents have it, I figured it was normal.

My youth was awful, but it had nothing to do with my parents - I was so tormented. I was a straight A student, high school valedictorian, but would spend hours every night secretly doing rituals, even as a small child.

Then, when I finally learned I had severe OCD and I was put on SSRIs, my life changed - suddenly, I could smile, laugh, and it would take me maybe 30 minutes instead of 4 hours to go to bed. I have had a wonderful life since I have been taking the SSRIs!!

My one wish is that I had taken them when I was younger - honestly, it would have changed my life. I really do feel that my life began when I turned 18. It's SO hard having OCD - I would not wish it on anyone! It takes a little while to get used to the SSRIs (a few weeks) but after that, life becomes beautiful smile

I'm now a teacher and loving every minute of life! I'm curious to know what happens - good luck with everything!