My teen used to play competitive chess when he was in the 5th and 6th grade. I had already stopped playing with him because he used to get out of chores by challenging me to another game, so I was very glad his school started a chess club. They went to area competitions and he had made his way to the state tournament that year. Some of these players have played chess for a few years, so my son wasn't to knowledgeable about the procedures for notations and calling for ref checks. He placed 6th out of 100 participants in his division but he left feeling very livid over the "unfair" cheating other players used.

If you are going to play competitively, I would encourage you to teach your child to be assertive about competition rules and safeguards to manage tactics some competitors use....even as 12 year olds.

With strategy....I have heard my son say he aims to win quickly with as few moves as possible. His favorite only takes two turns. He has also tries to increase his possiblities while minimizing his opponents.

I have tried to get him to play competitively again, however, he has told me he didn't want to be called a nerd.:S.