I received similar comments from all people - my son's pediatrician!

When I brought my son in for his 18 month check up, we were discussing developmental milestones. I thought what he was doing might be advanced, but with my son being my one and only, I didn't know for sure. I mentioned to the doctor that he knew all his letters (both upper and lower case), knew the sounds the letters made, knew all his shapes and colors, and could count to 20. I have to admit that I was bragging blush, but I was so proud of him. And all this he learned through play, reading books, playing with letter magnets on the fridge, etc. The pediatrician totally downplayed it, and basically said that because I was a stay-at-home mom, I work with him and he was just hearing me say all of those things to him and it was simply memorization on his part. confused I have to admit I was sort of shocked. I thought my son was kind of smart, but hey, what did I know? And of course, since I can't think quickly on my feet, I didn't think to say to her, "Well, I certainly didn't teach him, when he sees the letter 'N', to tilt his head to the right and say 'Z', or when he sees the letter 'L', to turn his head upside down and say '7'". Ugh!