Originally Posted by JDAx3
Someone gave us the Baby Einstein tapes and I liked them. I liked them because they were mellow and relaxing, not so much for the 'instruction'. I had a pretty active non-stop toddler, so anything that kept his attention for 20 minutes or so was good for me, but it's not as if he spent all day watching them. I'm sure the series is great, but I don't credit them for DS being the way he is. My personal opinion is that if educational programming was really capable of increasing kids' IQs or performance or whatever the claim is, there'd be a lot more kids like this. I'm sure it doesn't hurt, but I don't know that it necessarily helps either. Just my thoughts

I agree. DS4 loved baby einstein. It was the only show he liked to watch. He watched them until he was 2, he still watches them some with his sister who is also enthralled. I never attributed that to him being the way he is. Why would I? A friend of mine said that maybe that was why he is gifted. I almost fell on the floor laughing. Hmm....don't you think that Baby Einstein would be all over that if that were the case. I think it's quite ridiculous. Can certain exposure build academic performance, sure...but I don't think it creates highly gifted children. Just my opinion.