I've done a fair amount of research in Florida, since it's my state, too. My understanding is that the age cutoffs for entrance are written into state education regulations with no provisions for exemptions or variances. It's not something that the local districts have any choice about.

I believe that your DD is also going to be too old for the cut-off to delay entry. I don't remember the exact date, but I do recall being surprised at a school orientation that my Feb Bday DD would not have had the choice to redshirt, even if I'd wanted it. I also believe that mandatory education in Florida only starts in first grade, so that may allow you to postpone a little if you choose to go that direction.

I am aware of at least one preschool in my area that offers the state-supported VPK (voluntary pre-kindergarten) program in mixed-age classes of 3-5 year olds. They cannot get reimbursement from the state if the child does not meet the age requirement, but will charge the normal age rates for a 3yo to be in that mixed grouping. Since some children in the group are in the VPK program, the daily activities comply with the designated VPK curriculum. Not sure if there might be anything like that in your area or if that would even be a option.

Last edited by Prissy; 10/16/08 07:11 PM.

Prissy