I would defiantely say it depends on the child as well as the school district. We started my daughter in K at 4 on the advice of many. She did not do well and as she puts it "didn't learn anything" other than how to get in trouble and get around doing things she already knew how to do. She spent the majority of the year in the principals office because her teacher came right out and said she didn't know what to do with her. We were blessed with a first grade teacher who was wonderful but still limited within the confines of a narrow minded district. Things just went down hill from there until my daughter begged to be homeschooled this year and we ended up keeping our three school aged children at home, rather than admitting our twins to K. We haven't completely given up on the district but aren't holding out hope either.

All my girls loved the local co-op preschool and the hands on learning they did there and my oldest did o.k. in a year of Montessori pre-K but the school district just isn't able to accomodate them. My oldest is 2E, my older twin is definately GT and maybe 2E and my youngest twin is gifted in math, a very artistic child who is a visual learner. I don't think we will send my now 3yr old to anything other than the local co-cp preschool because of the track record with the district.

Early entrance can and does work for many but you have to take into account your child and your district and make a determination from there. I have vowed that my youngest children won't endure what my oldest did. She is just now beginning to show her love of learning again.

Last edited by melmichigan; 10/04/08 08:22 AM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader