We just used it for math. DS had asked his 3rd grade teacher to let him move ahead in math (notice he does most of his advocacy work himself!) and she gave him and a group of higher math kids a chance to work ahead in the 4th grade book, but everyone saw this was not enough. His 3rd grade teacher worked with the GT teacher to come up with a plan that would work better in 4th and it was the GT teacher's idea to look into dual-enrollment. At that point, the virtual academy was short of students and was happy to have us and the teachers in his bricks and mortar school felt unable to meet his needs (and perhaps were worried that we would take DS out)so everyone was very supportive. The virtual academy is now much busier and there is a waiting list to dual-enroll, so we were probably pretty lucky to be able to do this. I am told that they lose money with dual-enrolled students.

I should also mention that I did not expect the teachers at the bricks and mortar school to do anything with his math except allow him computer access. I did all the lesson assigning, grading, and work with the virtual academy teacher. I would help him when he got stuck or confused, but, really, that was pretty rare.

What I loved was that I have a transcript saying he as completed pre-algebra B from an accredited public school. It made it easy to get him into Algebra in 6th grade (with the honors 8th graders) next year. My brothers and I were all allowed to work ahead with some of our teachers, but that rarely carried over into true acceleration the next year because there was no firm documentation.