Originally Posted by Kai
Or here's another one. I've also seen this at all levels, but the most disturbing place was at a graduate school of education at a major state university. They had a grading rubric for written work that defines the values 0-10 like this:

9-10 Excellent, 6-8 very good, 3-5 satisfactory, 0-2 unacceptable

And then they averaged these scores and expressed them as a percent. The course grades were awarded as follows:

94-100 A, 84-93 B, 70-82 C, 0-69 F

Good grief. DS already has high school credit and I figured out that basically his entire grade (or probably 90 percent of it) is based on chapter tests. So If you mess up a single test, which may only be 10 or 20 questions, there goes your A. There may only be one or two other tests that trimester to try to make it up. Luckily DS got an A but I was cringing at the thought all along of a 10 or 11-year-old's screw-ups being on a permanent transcript. One huge negative of acceleration. I wonder if it will be clear from a transcript that someone took a course when they were far younger than "normal"? Because moving forward this still makes me nervous.