My son is a Sophomore this year and taking APCalc BC. His school has a course called Advanced Math Topics 1 and 2. After talking to some of the kids and knowing who teaches the course it will be a self learning experience I am sure. It is a weighted class but I doubt there is any accountability. I know it will not prepare you for any college board exam. We will look else where for something.

My son participated in math competitions up thru elementary and middle school with highly qualified and motivated teachers/instructors. I am working on it but in this High School it is lacking in involvement in this area. They do a few competitions, math league, AMC but they are just unaware of what is out there and don't know how to spark interest or have no interest.

My son got finished with one of the math league test last year and afterwards approached proctor/teacher with a question. The teacher said "I don't know I didn't read the question's". He was not interested in reading the questions either my son said.

My son was put off by the teachers not knowing the problems to the test or going over any of the solutions. There are only 6 problems each month for 6 months.
I just don't think the teachers are interested.

sorry for the mini-rant

I doubt that SAT math scores are much higher for secondary teachers than elementary.