Val, I sent you a PM after belatedly getting yours a while back--not sure if you saw it since there is that blinky-enevelope thing.

The thing is, DD would kill me and throw my body to the sharks if I had her do any extra math or summer math. I don't want to categorically say that she doesn't like math, because...the thing is, she actually has this keen interest in finding math patterns and puzzling out math rules that has been with her since she was tiny. She still does this, inventing little theorems that are right, and it's the thing that makes me go....wellllll...but math as school math? Her least favorite class, certainly, and if I asked her to do it during summer I woudl have all out war on my hands. Now, I could pull her out of the class and have her do Khan or or an online class and really, she would probably kill it. She's a great autodidact. seriously. But EXTRA math? hahahahahaha.

As far as grade level basics, we know she is solid. She got a perfect score--no questions incorrect--on the state standardized math exam last year. Which is a very easy exam, AFAIK, but. So it isn't that she's shaky on that stuff. I just have felt like she's honestly struggling with certain portions of this advanced curriculum--and those portions are the algebra.

Personally, I don't see much point in aiming for a Calc BC course if the student is going to struggle through badly designed Common Core courses to get there. It just doesn't make sense, and the students are honestly probably not learning much in a meaningful way.

Well, so this is it too. I fear she will get by with grit and innate cleverness but not grasp things deeply.

DD could end up in science. She's also showing a real flair for technology and computers this year. So, part of me does not want to deemphasize math. But I also don't want to force her through an overly advanced curriculum that's hard for her and not in a subject she enjoys because that's what she is "supposed" to do as a high-potential student. Family values are not such that she must be TOP CLASS in everything.